Monday, May 12, 2008

Are you a Skeptic?


So today I went to a Chiorpractor that my parents use, I suffer from a lot of aches and pains, which some doctors say is the cause of a underlying problem, well thats no huge surprise to me.

While I am pretty open to trying alternative medicine I have learned through the years of seeing doctors thousands of times, to take what they say with a grain of salt, its not that I have bitterness to doctors, I just have learned that no one can know my body better than myself.

As I started to meet with this young doctor, who looks like he was quite the catch when he was younger. though still handsome you can see the signs of age creeping through. with his receding hairline and tan skin that shows the signs of to much sun.

He gets right to the point and starts asking questions, then he asks me how much water I drink, proudly I answer because I have been very good in trying to drink a little more than half my body weight in ounces, 62 oz to be exact. After I answered him he started typing and came back with the amount of 101.4 oz, of water of day is what I should be drinking, I said, "really?' ...in disbelief because he didn't even know my weight, I thought, "how could he have come up with that number without even knowing how much I weigh?"

As soon as I answered with some doubt he began to act insecure and asked if I was a skeptic, I said, "very much so," he then asked if it was because I just had a general bitterness towards doctors, I assured him that was not it, but that I have learned to question whatever a doctor tells me.

After that he seemed awkward, and I felt like I was making him nervous and uncomfortable, I felt bad, but didn't know what to do, it was nothing personal just me being my own advocate.

Well I have a follow-up appt. on Wednesday maybe he can redeem himself then.

No comments: